Sep 10, 2006

Studio progress




I decided to show how my studio is progessing... It looks very wild yet but I think it could be already used in a month or so.
When it's finished I'd love to receive visits of textile artists from all over the world to exchange ideas and techniques.
Did I tell that the whole insulation is made of straw balls? We threw adobe twice over it with a machine and flattened it by hand this time mixing lime to the adobe to make it almost white.
All materials are from our farm so that the costs were very low as we did everything ourselves!
Now we are going to put a wooden floor over the whole space.
I'll keep you informed.
If you want to see more photographs, please look at my Flickr Studio Folder!

11 comments:

  1. Sara this is amazing!! what a space and so beautiful with the beams. I love the idea of the strawbale construction and have heard they are very warm buildings. What are you doing for the roof?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous studio to be!!! Thanks for showing the process. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab studio you are having and I love the idea of using the straw. The windows and beams are great and makes it look like a 'vintage' building, at first I thought you were converting an old building. Please post photos as it develops won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is magnificent! I love the light and the curved windows and the whole idea of strawbale construction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments, I'll keep you informed of the progress.
    We already hung some lamps. We are doing the electricity now.
    The roof is also insulated with straw bales.
    I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Sara, I'm so jealous! It's going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I'm ever in Austria again I will definitely stop by. It's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. das sieht großartig aus, ich besuche dich ganz bestimmt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. meine Guete, sieht das jetzt schon toll aus, wieviel Platz Du da haben wirst und was fuer ein Ambiente. Grossartig!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks like it will be a gorgeous studio!

    ReplyDelete